If you’ve never heard of overnight oats before, let me give you a quick little primer. Overnight oats are a no-cook method of making porridge. Instead of cooking your oats with liquid in the microwave, you mix your oats with the liquid and other mix-ins, and let it rest in the fridge overnight.
In the morning, you have a pudding-like porridge that is perfect for easy grab-and-go breakfasts. It doesn’t have the same texture as microwave oats. It’s creamier, denser, and in my opinion, so much tastier.
So, what do you need to make them?
The basic staples are:
- oats (as many as you need to suffice your hunger needs),
- Liquid (I use dairy free milks but you can use yogurt, water, milk, coconut water… ANY liquid)!
Mix these together, with the optional add ins below and leave for a minimum of 8 hours!
The optional add ins:
- Chia seeds/ Flax seeds; these make a gloopier consistency but will help to keep you full for longer.
- Frozen berries; these are great as they add in a natural sweetness,
- Nut butter; this makes it even creamier,
- Superfood powders; cacao powder adds a great chocolate flavour, lucuma has a lovely caramel taste, maca for a natural caffeine kick, acai to add a lovely colour..
- Nuts and seeds; this adds a great texture to your breakfast plus adds in healthy fats,
- Grated apple; this is more like a bircher recipe but tastes great!
- Protein powders; great to add in a protein kick post/ pre workout!
Great flavour combinations:
Here, you use the basic staples and then add in your optional add ins to mix things up!
- Cacao orange; cacao powder (or chocolate protein powder) + grated orange zest,
- PB and J; Peanut butter + Frozen Berries + chia seeds,
- Vanilla; Vanilla protein powder + Chia seeds + Fruit,
- Carrot Cake; grated carrot + raisins + vanilla protein powder,
- Banana Choc chip; Cacao Nibs + Banana coins + Vanilla Protein Powder,
- Tropical fruit; frozen mixed tropical fruits + chia seeds + Vanilla Protein Powder,
- Chocolate coconut; cacao powder + coconut milk + desiccated coconut,
- Apple Pie; Diced apple + cinnamon + Nutmeg + Raisins
Let me know if you try them!