Wholesome Gingerbread Stars
By Gabriella Evans (Instagram: guilt_free_gabs)
It is never too early to start baking Christmas treats! These gingerbread cookies are guilt-free and full of goodness. They are so fun to make and you don’t need heaps of different ingredients. The result… deliciously crisp cookies and it will have your whole house smelling of Christmas!
I decorated mine with melted white chocolate (my weakness- I just love it) and I made my own powdered sugar. Its so simple I can’t believe I haven’t done it before!
- 1 tsp all-spice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 150g wholegrain flour
- 200g wholegrain pastry flour
- 120g coconut oil
- 30g coconut syrup
- 100g coconut sugar
- 1 egg
1. In a mixing bowl, mix together the pastry flour, wholegrain flour and the three different spices.
2. In a different bowl, whisk together the coconut oil and coconut syrup (use the microwave if the coconut oil is set, we want it nice and runny) then add the coconut sugar and whisk until completely combined. If you’re struggling to get the three to mix together don’t panic! Just ad the egg and whisk some more and it should all blend together perfectly. Make sure there are no lumps of sugar.
3. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until the dough is smooth and you can form a big ball with it. Then divide the ball into two and leave to set in the fridge for an hour wrapped in Clingfilm.
4. Pre-heat the oven at 170c and line two baking trays with baking paper (you can also use foil just make sure to spray it with a little oil to prevent the cookies from sticking)
5. Once your two dough balls are set, remove them from the fridge. Sprinkle your work surface with flour and start rolling! I don’t have a roller at university so I improved the only way I knew how, with a bottle of wine! I can confirm it works perfectly fine- as long as the lid is screwed on properly!!
6. Moving on… role your dough out until it is approximately 1 cm thick. Use any cookie cutters you like, I recently bought these star ones from Tesco. Keep using the left-over scraps of dough to make more cookies, and repeat until there’s non left.
7. Place the cookies in the oven for 11 minutes, then take them out and let them cool down completely until you decorate them.
8. Melt 50g of white chocolate with a tsp coconut oil in the microwave until its nice and runny (approx. 40 second- stir half way). Fill a sandwich bag with the chocolate and cut a TINY hole in the corner so you can decorate your cookies with precision (a proper icing bag would be better, but this technique works fine also)
9. HOME MADE ICING SUGAR!!
– 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
– 1 tsp cinnamon
Place the sugar and cinnamon in a Nutribullet or blender of choice and just whiz it up until it is light and powdery then sprinkle it all over your cookies!
Massive thank you to Hannah for letting me feature on her blog and Instagram!!
I hope you guys give this recipe a go and let me know if it worked out well for you. For more guilt-free recipes (also some not so guilt-free) check out my Instagram @guilt_free_gabs!