These energy bites are no bake, super easy to make and take less than 10 minutes to put together. They are naturally loaded with protein, fibre and healthy fats to keep you full and loaded with energy throughout the day. Made with minimal ingredients that are easy to buy, everything gets combined in one bowl AND, best of all, you don’t have to turn on the oven.
When you bite in to these balls, it is quite hard to believe that they are actually healthy! Therefore, they are the perfect on the go snack!
This recipe is also very versatile; add in whatever you fancy. Go wild; cacao nibs, dried fruits, different flavoured nut butters, all the superfoods.. ANYTHING!!!
Want to know how to make them so you can enjoy them? Well, the recipe and method is below!
To make 12 balls:
- 50g of nut butter,
- 70g of oats,
- 15g of dessicated coconut,
- 15g of chia seeds,
- 50g of date nectar (honey would work here too).
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl (make sure everything is coated really well),
- Place the mixture in the fridge for 10-15 minutes so they are easier to roll,
- Use a teaspoon to take a teaspoonful size amount and roll in to balls,
- Roll in to bites and store in the fridge for up to a week!
I recently discovered Olly Bars, a London based producer of handmade, healthy snack bars intended to keep you fuller for longer. Olly started the business with the aim of creating the ‘best tasting energy bars’ packed with plenty of healthy fruit and nuts. Many ‘healthy’ breakfast bars are actually anything but that, so I was pretty chuffed to be sent these bars! These bars are SO addictive but guilt free as they don’t contain all the additives.
There are three different flavours: banana brunch, peanut choc chip and all day breakfast.
‘All day Breakfast’
Made with oats, dates, nuts and cocoa butter this snack bar will keep you full all morning. This bar is a good source of protein, with each bar containing 9g. It is also high in protein, additive-free and suitable for vegans. The bar has a chewy consistency and with every bite, you bite in to something different. It is a sizeable bar, probably double the size of those you would normally buy, so is great, satisfying breakfast option.
‘Peanut Choc Chip’
This bar is brilliant as a sweet but guilt-free dessert (and will satisfy a peanut-lover no end). It has to be my favourite. It is sweet but not too sweet and has an amazing texture. Basically, I love it!!!
The superfood snack contains chia, sunflower and flax seeds – and has lowered the amount of natural fruit sugars by 40%, replacing them with protein by using vegan-friendly pea crunchies. Coming in at around 250 calories, it is a great pre/ post workout snack.. it didn’t quite suffice for breakfast.
Overall, I give the bars an average of 7/10 BUTthe peanut choc chip bar gets 10/10 from me!
If you’ve followed for a while, you will probably know by now that I love turkey mince. I think it is so versatile. So much so, that I prep it for both lunches and dinners.
You can also have it in so many forms:
- Mince- think Chilli con carne, tacos, keemas (this is my absolute favourite), lasagna, as a pizza topping.
- Basically, if red meat is the mince suggestion in a recipe, just change it to turkey.
Why turkey mince?
In no way am I saying that red meat is bad, in fact my Dad is a beef farmer (check out Hannem Limousin’s). Red meat is a good source of proteins, vitamins and minerals in your diet. Red meat provides us with iron, and meat is also one of the main sources of vitamin B12. However, too much red meat can lead to you eating too much saturated fat.
This is where the turkey mince comes in to action. You can have the same meals, BUT with less fat, calories and more protein. If you are going to swap to turkey then make sure you are using turkey breast mince, not thigh. The thigh is a much fattier cut of meat and can end up the same if not higher in calories and fat than beef mince and undoing all your good intentions!
So, here are a few of my favourite recipes from around the internet that are quick and easy and use mince that I would change to a turkey alternative.
- Turkey Mince Cottage Pie with a sweet potato topping.
- The best healthy Turkey Chilli.
- Slowcooker healthy Turkey Keema
- Turkey Burgers; here are a few recipes:
5. Turkey Meatballs; here are a few that I love:
I hope you find this helpful!
It’s a long time since I made a protein powder free cake and ate it… so, I naturally had to celebrate this success by putting in on my blog for you to all enjoy too! Banana is one ingredient that I end up using a lot while baking. I have baked cookies, cupcakes, muffins and so many breakfast recipes but a simple no egg banana bread recipe was missing here.
This recipe is really easy- it uses just two bowls, you mix it all in together and then pop it in the oven. The use of coconut oil as well as the bananas keeps this loaf really nice and moist!
Serves 8 (generous slices)!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 65 minutes
- 3 medium-large bananas (+1 extra to cut in to coins)
- 75 ml melted coconut oil
- 75 ml full fat coconut milk
- 100 g coconut sugar
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 180 g plain flour
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- 1/3 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ tsp of cinnamon
- Warm up the oven to 175° C and line a 900 g / 2 lb cake tin with baking paper. Move the oven rack a notch down from the middle position.
- In one bowl, combine all dry ingredients. In another bowl combine all wet ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ones in three batches mixing well each time. Mix until there is no dry flour left, but do not over mix!
- Pour the cake batter into the tin and spread banana coins on top if you want. The cake is just as nice without them.
- Bake for about 65-70 minutes, the exact time depends on the individual oven. Remove from the oven and let it cool down completely before cutting.
These healthy Peanut Butter Choccy Courgette Brownies are gooey, decadent, and perfectly sweet! They’re free of refined sugar, flour, butter and can be gluten-free.
- 1 large/2 small courgettes, grated
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed (the riper the better)
- 2 eggs
- 80g peanut butter
- 50g oats, ground (simply blend regular oats in a blender)
- 50g coconut flour
- 20g coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 75g 85% dark chocolate, broken into small chunks
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- 25g 85% dark chocolate, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a brownie tin.
- In a large bowl mix together the grated courgette, mashed banana, eggs and peanut butter until well combined.
- Add the ground oats, coconut flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and pinch of salt.
- Finally, chop the dark chocolate and walnuts into small chunks and fold them through the mixture. Ensure everything is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and cook in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Once cooled drizzle the cake with melted dark chocolate. Let the chocolate set and slice into portions.
- I think these little bites are delicious how they are, warmed in the microwave or even cold out of the fridge.
- Enjoy these little bites as a perfect afternoon pick-me-up, weekend or after dinner treat!
As I have said before, for me, wearing pretty, quality gym gear is essential and in my view, you can never EVER have enough gym wear; actually, the more, the better!! So, when these beautiful Trogym leggings and bra came through the door, I was more than excited!
So, who are/what is Trogym?
trogym® is a brand of ethical activewear, blending modern exotic styles and smart materials with a commitment to treating workforces and the environment kindly.
With an aim to empower and inspire you during workouts, their clothing is bright, attractive and unique looking!
My initial thoughts:
- The leggings and bras look of great quality; the material is smooth and shiny.
- The colours on the leggings and bra are bright and fun! They don’t have too many colours in them though, so aren’t too intense!
- The bra is ‘different’ to other sports bras- with more of a v-plunge- so looks attractve to wear!
The wear test:
- Can you squat in them? YES! The bottoms don’t go see through!
- Can you do a HIIT session in them? Yessss; they don’t feel restrictive and don’t slip down!
- They are also great for running as they are not too thick so your calves don’t get sweaty (my biggest hate)!
- The bras is supportive too; everything stayed in place as I worked out!
The leggings and bra both have a lovely, simple design; the stripes match!
The seams are just on the inside of the leggings so, they’re not itchy and you can barely feel them!
The leggings are high waisted so I didn’t mind training in them without a top!
Value for money:
The leggings are priced at £48 and I think this is incredible value for money; they are so versatile, not just for a workout, so you will 100% get your money’s worth!
The bra will cost you £26; it is supportive, so again, I think it is definitely worth spending the money on!
Telling someone that you’re having pancakes for breakfast sounds super unhealthy (not that having that sometimes is a bad thing)! They’re often laden with syrups, cream, toppings of all sorts (if you’ve been to the Pancake house at Centre Parcs, you’ll have seen allllll the topping options) and made with butter, full fat milk/buttermilk and your bog-standard flour. HOWEVER, having a healthy pancake breakfast is such a simple task.. there really is no excuse.
These high protein pancakes are whizzed up in seconds and, if you don’t want the chocolate option, contain only 3 ingredients.
So, here they are:
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 banana,
- 1 scoop of protein,
- 150ml of egg whites or two eggs,
- Optional: Cacao powder
- Toppings of choice.
- Pop all of the ingredients in your blender and whizz until well combined,
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat and grease with either coconut oil or fry light spray,
- Pour 2 tablespoons amount in to the pan in a circulaur shape.
- Cook your pancake for around 2 minutes before flipping on to the other side.
- Continue to do so until all your mix is gone.
- Add your toppings and ENJOY!