If you’ve followed for a while, you will probably know by now that I love turkey mince. I think it is so versatile. So much so, that I prep it for both lunches and dinners.
You can also have it in so many forms:
- Mince- think Chilli con carne, tacos, keemas (this is my absolute favourite), lasagna, as a pizza topping.
- Basically, if red meat is the mince suggestion in a recipe, just change it to turkey.
Why turkey mince?
In no way am I saying that red meat is bad, in fact my Dad is a beef farmer (check out Hannem Limousin’s). Red meat is a good source of proteins, vitamins and minerals in your diet. Red meat provides us with iron, and meat is also one of the main sources of vitamin B12. However, too much red meat can lead to you eating too much saturated fat.
This is where the turkey mince comes in to action. You can have the same meals, BUT with less fat, calories and more protein. If you are going to swap to turkey then make sure you are using turkey breast mince, not thigh. The thigh is a much fattier cut of meat and can end up the same if not higher in calories and fat than beef mince and undoing all your good intentions!
So, here are a few of my favourite recipes from around the internet that are quick and easy and use mince that I would change to a turkey alternative.
- Turkey Mince Cottage Pie with a sweet potato topping.
- The best healthy Turkey Chilli.
- Slowcooker healthy Turkey Keema
- Turkey Burgers; here are a few recipes:
5. Turkey Meatballs; here are a few that I love:
- Paleo Thai Meatballs,
- Thai coconut soup with Turkey Meatballs,
- Spicy meatballs with Chilli Black Beans.
I hope you find this helpful!