Are you a green tea fan?
I’ve been cutting back on coffee lately. But on mornings that I need a little pick-me-up, I love a warm cup of green tea.
We all know that green tea has antioxidant benefits. But did you know that powdered green tea – also known as matcha – has 137 times more antioxidants than brewed green tea? Antioxidants are important because they fight cancer-causing free radicals in the body (among other benefits).
Have you tried a smoothie bowl yet?
It’s a fun way to slow down and enjoy your smoothie as more of a meal with a spoon (as opposed to slurping it down with a straw). Plus, you get to add more nutritious foods with toppings like fruit, nuts, and seeds.
I hope you all love my take on the matcha green smoothie!
Ingredients to serve 1:
- 80g of frozen berries,
- 100g of frozen spinach,
- 1 tsp of Matcha powder (I used Heap Well Superfoods),
- 1 tsp of xanthum gum (this thickens it),
- 250ml of milk (I used almond milk),
- 25g of protein powder (optional),
- Add frozen fruit and spinach, milk, matcha powder, xanthum gum and protein powder to a blender and blend on high until creamy and smooth,
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more fruit (or a touch of maple syrup or stevia) for sweetness, matcha for more intense green tea flavor, or more milk for creaminess (though adding more matcha powder adds more caffeine, so use your best discretion).
- Pour in to a serving bowl and top with desired toppings (optional).
- Best when fresh, though leftovers keep well sealed in the refrigerator up to 24 hours.