1. Egg Whites,
- With just 17 calories per egg white and 0g of fat, these are the perfect addition to healthy bakes.
- They help to bind your ingredients without adding many calories yet help bakes to retain their cake like features.
2. Coconut Flour,
- Coconut flour is extraordinarily absorbent and very little coconut flour is needed to successfully produce a recipe.
- Naturally high in both fibre and protein, it helps your bakes to remain nutritious and DELICIOUS!
- I use it for pancakes, cakes, energy balls and protein bars, pizzas and as a binding ingredient in fritters!
- Avocados make just about anything better, from salads to veggie-packed salsas to smoothies.
- Blending in avocado to your brownies, energy balls or even porridge, adds moisture, a nice creamy texture and no weird flavours!
- Avocados are a nutrition powerhouse too; rich in monounsaturated fats which can lower the risk of heart disease and cholesterol levels.
- Find some delicious new ways to use avocado on the BBC Good Food Website!
4. Protein powders,
- Protein helps you build muscle, making look toned and boosting your metabolism which can help you slim down. The addition of protein can help you feel satiated for longer; essential to stop you snacking!
- They can be substituted gram for gram for flour in any recipe; so are an easy optional add in!
- With so many flavours, you can really mix up what you make! I use them for EVERYTHING sweet that I bake with! Check out my loaf cake recipes for examples!
- My favourite whey proteins are: The Organic Whey Protein Company unflavoured protein powder, Motion Nutrition Coconut Whey Protein,
- For vegans, my favourite whey protein alternatives are: MissFits Nutrition Vanilla Pea Protein, Vivolife UK raw cacao hemp protein powder and That Protein Brown Rice and Cacao Powder protein.
- You probably think I’m crazy for adding this in BUT they add SO much volume for so few calories, add lots of moisture and don’t have an overpowering taste!
- By blending or grating them in to your bakes, you can make a delicious moist bake, contribute to your five a day and use up leftover veg!
- I use courgette in oats (zoats), loaf cakes and even pancakes! Go crazy!
6. Natural sweeteners,
- All sugar is sugar, there is no way of getting around that! However, essential to making sure your healthy bake tastes naughty, these natural sweeteners are something that you cannot miss off of your shopping list!
- My favourites are coconut sugar, Natvia Natural Sweetener, Truvia, Date Syrup and Coconut nectar!
- Coconut Sugar: has a lovely caramel flavour, a low GI (keeping you full for longer) and contains iron, zinc, and calcium, which can have many health benefits, including stronger bones.
- Natvia and Truvia: As these are so sweet, you can use so little. They are also low calorie, natural (the ‘sugar’ is extracted from the leaf of the stevia plant) and don’t affect your blood sugar levels.
- Date Syrup: Dates are a good source of various vitamins and minerals so Date syrup thus contains the same! Dates themselves are an excellent energy booster with the right type of sugar our body needs. Simply, use it in your teas or anything else that you would use maple syrup or agave!
I hope this has been helpful!