This seasonal pumpkin spiced muffin recipe is written by the lovely @libbys_health_bites … As I am featuring pumpkin this week, with Halloween and Thanksgiving round the corner, I asked Libby to get involved and have a go at creating these tasty tea time treats. They are free from gluten and refined sugars – so you can indulge happily!
So, here is the recipe:
You will need:
- 1/2 cup spelt flour (or other gluten free flour)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp xanthan gum (gluten free alternative to baking powder)
- pinch salt
- 1/2cup egg whites
- 1.5tbsp date nectar (or natural sweetener)
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2cup pumpkin purée
- Preheat oven to 180’C. Prepare a 6-cup muffin tin with cases.
- In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, baking powder, cinnamon, xanthan gum and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Whisk until mixed well.
- Transfer liquid bowl to the large bowl, and stir until just mixed.
- Evenly distribute batter into the muffin pan, and smooth.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 16 – 18 minutes.
For the frosting: place 4 tablespoons of canned coconut milk and two tablespoons of maple syrup in a bowl and using either an electric whisk or beat by hand until smooth. Top with some crushed walnuts or a cinnamon dusting.